View Poll Results: Was this howto helpful to you?

Voters
351. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

317 90.31%
  • No

34 9.69%
Page 11 of 38 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: How to compile the 2.6.18 kernel from kernel.org

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: How to compile the 2.6.17 kernel from kernel.org

this is a great tutorial, except for some problems on my machine... but individual settings is what linux is all about, right? one question, though... the arch is for i386; where's the i686?

Beans

The HOWTO is arch-agnostic. The only reference to i386 is in the revision parameter passed to make-kpkg and that is basically only used as a version number to identify separate kernel builds, you can change it to whatever you like.

You set up the kernel for your arch mostly in the kernel configuration step by selecting the most appropriate options from the "Processor type and features" menu.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Intrepid Ibex (testing)

Quote Originally Posted by kinematic View Post
    no you didn't.
    i compiled the 2.6.17.6 kernel on PCLinuxOS and i also don't have iptables support.
    i asked about it on the kernel mailing list but i haven't gotten an answer yet.
    This is common gotcha. You need include Netfilter Xtables support from Networking -> Networking options -> Network packet filtering -> Core netfilter configuration.

/edit
    you should probably build all iptables related features as modules.
    Last edited by mlind; July 26th, 2006 at 04:22 AM.
    Building on Ubuntu using [pbuilder]
    Other resources [Upgrading from CVS, Gaim2, Anjuta, Rhythmbox]

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Ike_ View Post
    The HOWTO is arch-agnostic. The only reference to i386 is in the revision parameter passed to make-kpkg and that is basically only used as a version number to identify separate kernel builds, you can change it to whatever you like.

You set up the kernel for your arch mostly in the kernel configuration step by selecting the most appropriate options from the "Processor type and features" menu.
    thanks for the info; much appreciated!

Beans

I got the following error when trying the compile. I tried the whole process twice. This is my first try at doing this so I have no clue how to tell what might be wrong. Any help is appreciated.

drivers/media/dvb/ttpci/budget-av.c: In function ‘frontend_init’:
    drivers/media/dvb/ttpci/budget-av.c:1063: error: ‘struct budget_av’ has no member named ‘reinitialise_demod’
    drivers/media/dvb/ttpci/budget-av.c:1068: error: request for member ‘tuner_ops’ in something not a structure or union
    drivers/media/dvb/ttpci/budget-av.c:1068: error: ‘philips_cu1216_tuner_set_params’ undeclared (first use in this function)
    drivers/media/dvb/ttpci/budget-av.c:1068: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
    drivers/media/dvb/ttpci/budget-av.c:1068: error: for each function it appears in.)
    make[5]: *** [drivers/media/dvb/ttpci/budget-av.o] Error 1
    make[4]: *** [drivers/media/dvb/ttpci] Error 2
    make[3]: *** [drivers/media/dvb] Error 2
    make[2]: *** [drivers/media] Error 2
    make[1]: *** [drivers] Error 2
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.17.7'
    make: *** [stamp-build] Error 2

Beans

Exclamation Re: How to compile the 2.6.17 kernel from kernel.org

Doesn't compile if DVB_BUDGET_AV is set.

Accidently one of the kernel developers submitted the wrong patch appearently.

Simply unset the following (change from module to nothing)

Device Drivers -> Multimedia Devices -> Digital Broadcasting Devices ->

Budget cards
    Budget cards with onboard CI connector
    Budget cards with Budget Patch
    AV7110 cards with BudgetParch

after you resaved the new config check it by:

cat /usr/src/linux/.config | grep DVB_BUDGET

what should return:

# CONFIG_DVB_BUDGET is not set
    # CONFIG_DVB_BUDGET_CI is not set
    # CONFIG_DVB_BUDGET_AV is not set

Beans

@ ZoltanPatay

that did the trick for me. Could you share how you came to the conclusion that those specific drivers were causing the problem ?

Thank you.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by menapole View Post
    I got the following error when trying the compile. I tried the whole process twice. This is my first try at doing this so I have no clue how to tell what might be wrong. Any help is appreciated.

drivers/media/dvb/ttpci/budget-av.c: In function ‘frontend_init’:
    drivers/media/dvb/ttpci/budget-av.c:1063: error: ‘struct budget_av’ has no member named ‘reinitialise_demod’
    drivers/media/dvb/ttpci/budget-av.c:1068: error: request for member ‘tuner_ops’ in something not a structure or union
    drivers/media/dvb/ttpci/budget-av.c:1068: error: ‘philips_cu1216_tuner_set_params’ undeclared (first use in this function)
    drivers/media/dvb/ttpci/budget-av.c:1068: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
    drivers/media/dvb/ttpci/budget-av.c:1068: error: for each function it appears in.)
    make[5]: *** [drivers/media/dvb/ttpci/budget-av.o] Error 1
    make[4]: *** [drivers/media/dvb/ttpci] Error 2
    make[3]: *** [drivers/media/dvb] Error 2
    make[2]: *** [drivers/media] Error 2
    make[1]: *** [drivers] Error 2
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.17.7'
    make: *** [stamp-build] Error 2
    Ya I got the same problem

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

if anyone could help with my problem, i still am unable to get the kernel to boot succesfully since i added my new SATA drive to the system.

hasan@nismo-oobuntoo:~$ sudo lspci
    pcilib: Cannot open /sys/bus/pci/devices
    0000:00:00.0 Host bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8378 [KM400/A] Chipset Host Bridge
    0000:00:01.0 PCI bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8237 PCI Bridge
    0000:00:0f.0 IDE interface: VIA Technologies, Inc. VIA VT6420 SATA RAID Controller (rev 80)
    0000:00:0f.1 IDE interface: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82C586A/B/VT82C686/A/B/VT823x/A/C PIPC Bus Master IDE (rev 06)
    0000:00:10.0 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1 Controller (rev 81)
    0000:00:10.1 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1 Controller (rev 81)
    0000:00:10.2 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1 Controller (rev 81)
    0000:00:10.3 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1 Controller (rev 81)
    0000:00:10.4 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. USB 2.0 (rev 86)
    0000:00:11.0 ISA bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8237 ISA bridge [KT600/K8T800/K8T890 South]
    0000:00:11.5 Multimedia audio controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8233/A/8235/8237 AC97 Audio Controller (rev 60)
    0000:00:12.0 Ethernet controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT6102 [Rhine-II] (rev 7)
    0000:01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8378 [S3 UniChrome] Integrated Video (rev 01)

a link to my current config is here (im also using the latest beyond patch available at this time 2.2)

http://www.members.westnet.com.au/husky87/latest.config

if i use the kernel config from the default ubuntu kernel it boots so i'm missing some option in xconfig plz assist

Beans

Are there any known issues with latest ATI drivers?

I have compiled and installed the custom kernel but when booting i get a black screen for a few seconds and then reboot.

I installed fglrx-kernel-source and replace "fglrx" by "vesa" in my xorg.conf. After kernel loaded, Ubuntu starts , but with a black screen. I thought it was a crash but i saw hard-drive was working. After a few seconds, im at login screen.
    Seems like ive lost the graphical interface of the boot process.(you know where it says "mounting root file system..." etc).Anyway, i know have GDM working.

The thing is: i get no hardware acceleration when putting back "fglrx" into my xorg.conf.

Do i need to reinstall ATI drivers? I actually have these drivers installed. Is a simple re-install of xorg-driver-fglrx via sinaptik and a reboot enough to solve the problem? (i remove xorg-driver-fglrx then reinstall it?)

The thing that bothers me is that at last kernel update (2.6.15.26), as far sa i remember, i did not have to reinstall ATI drivers.

Is there a way to integrate ATI latest drivers into the kernel so that it works without the need of reinstaling drivers manually?

Cheers

EDIT: i was just wondering, maybe a sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg wont hurt? Does this command only "resets" xorg.conf, or any other stuff?(need to know if i have to backup anything more than my xorg.conf)
    Last edited by hype; July 29th, 2006 at 11:02 AM.

Page 11 of 38 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast